Sunday, November 27, 2011

Adelbert Barth's Bitter-Sweet Save


Last night, I was walking home from work, and I saw something very peculiar. There was a group of children, maybe eight years old, breaking someone’s window with rocks! That’s strange; I thought to myself. I’ve never seen anything like this happen in my town. As I was walking closer to my house, almost on my street, I smelt something burning. Was someone using his or her fireplace already? Was the first thing that popped into my head, but as I came closer to my street, I saw what I smelled. The house where the kind Jewish family a few doors down lived in was burning! I dropped my briefcase and ran to the scene. Why was nobody helping? There were people outside watching this spectacle, but no one was doing anything! The fire truck was parked outside their house. I asked the person nearest to me,
“Why aren’t the firemen doing anything?”
“To make sure the actual people’s houses don’t burn, of course!”
I couldn’t believe what I had just heard. I’ve known this family for quite a while, and I had been impressed with how the parents have managed to take care of six-year-old twins and baby. Someone has to do something! I told myself. I ran inside the burning house, but the heat was too intense to stand much longer. I had to be quick. I ran throughout the house, but I only managed to grab one of the twins, and the baby. I ran out of the house, just as the bottom floor crumbled. I told the six-year-old to take the baby and run to the nearest orphanage, which was just down the street. I looked at the house. I will never forget the people i saved that night, and the people i didn't. Then, all I heard was a loud crack, and I blacked out.
When I awoke on the sidewalk, I took a look around. The house was completely demolished. I walked back to my house, only to find the windows completely smashed. A small price to pay for the lives I saved that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment