Monday, November 21, 2011

Mordecai Koertig's Worst Night


I stared out of my window. The German citizens were throwing eggs at my house. I guess I should consider myself lucky, I heard many fire engine sirens, and I was confident that the fires were no accident. I decided to let the German people be, and try to live through this hellish night.
Earlier that night, at around eight o’clock, I witnessed an ugly beating of a six year old Jew, who lives down the street. I sat in my chair, listening to the disgusting slurs that were coming from the outside. I began to hate the people of Germany, and I started to yell at the German people throwing eggs at my home. They told me, “Be quiet, you filthy Jew!” that did it. I ran outside and, a baseball bat in hand, threatened to beat these sick people. Their response? Eggs. I ran towards them, and swung the bat harder than I thought I could. Crack. I heard the bat make contact with a pair of legs. Or maybe it was legs that cracked. All I know is that this only made my new enemies angrier. They ran towards me and hit me in my face and my gut. I swung my bat wildly, and made a pathway for myself through the angry men. I turned towards them, and knocked down the remaining four men.
The SS soldiers did not like this little spectacle, so they grabbed me, and shoved me into a large truck full of many other Jews. We spent the night in the truck, with no food or water. In the morning, we set off towards an unknown destination. After another day, we came to a stop. The SS soldiers gave us each a cup of water, and we started moving again. After two more days, we were given water, and sent to a train. Many more jews were stuffed into the train carts, and in 5 more days, we finally arrived at our new home. Mauthausen,

No comments:

Post a Comment